Mental health includes emotional, psychological as well as social wellbeing. Mental health affects how we think, feel etc. It is highly important at every stage of life. People with positive mental health are the greatest resources of the world who can bring quality changes to society.
- Mental health affects physical health. So in order to be maintain physical health , one should be mentally healthy too.
- Stroke , type II diabetes and heart diseases can be caused due to poor mental health conditions as well as due to stress.
- A healthy individual can only bring variety contributions to the community.
- They only can maintain good relationships and thereby create a peaceful environment.
- A person with poor mental health seems very difficult to cope with the stresses of this century.
FACTORS AFFECTING MENTAL HEALTH
- Biological factors
- Life experiences
- Family history of mental health problems
- Your lifestyle including diet, physical activity etc.
SYMPTOMS OF MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEM
- Changes in eating as well as sleeping habits.
- Severe mood swings.
- Withdrawing from people or activities.
- Self harming tendency.
- Having a hopeless feeling.
- Having less or no energy for a long time.
- Unusual usage of drugs or alcohol.
- Not being able to perform daily tasks.
- Having a confused feeling, getting angry or upset for silly reasons.
- Having unexplainable pains.
STATISTICS RELATED TO MENTAL HEALTH DISORDERS
According to the latest statistics available from the National Institute of Mental Health Disorders, part of National Institutes of Health:
- Many people suffer from more than one mental disorder at a time.
- An estimated 26% of American adults suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder.
- Anxiety disorders affect 40 million adults in the U.S.
MENTAL HEALTH STATISTICS WORLDWIDE
- Anxiety affects 284 million people in the world.
- Depression affects 264 million people.
- Bipolar disorder affects 46 million people.
- Schizophrenia affects 20 million people.
- Alcohol use disorder affects 107 million people.
- Drug use disorder affects 71 million people.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF MENTAL ILLNESS
- Clinical depression
- Anxiety disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder(OCD)
- Post-traumatic stress disorder(PTSD)
HOW TO IMPROVE MENTAL HEALTH?
- Doing breathing exercises regularly.
- Connecting with friends and family.
- Taking care of physical health by being physically active, enough sleep,maintaining healthy food habits etc.
- Staying positive (also give enough time to feel the emotions).
- Music therapy.
The above-mentioned ways can only bring relaxation to people with lesser health issues. If the situations are too worst then those people must need therapy. Attitude towards psychiatric as well as psychological illness tend to be more negative, but that is meaningless and Therapy can make one’s mental health far better. Talk therapy or medications definitely can cure any type of mental health issue.